For tips on travel to the out-islands please watch this video! You are closer than you think.
The San Salvador Island
San Salvador Island, located in the southeastern Bahamas, is a sparsely populated tropical Out Island Paradise of powdery white sand beaches and warm crystalline waters. Only 385 miles southeast of Ft. Lauderdale, Florida, San Salvador is accessible by scheduled and charter air flights direct to a modern 4,400 foot paved airstrip, or by sea to our deep water marina which offers a protected harbor with electric and water hook-ups for visiting yachtsman.
To facilitate all customs formalities, San Salvador is an official Bahamas Port of Entry. World renowned as the first landing point for Columbus in the New World on October 12, 1492, and hence sometimes still referred to as Columbus Isle, San Salvador is just 12 miles long by 5 miles wide, the exposed peak of a submerged mountain plunging 15,000 feet to the sea floor. Rimmed by a combination of scenic rocky shoreline and powdery white sand beaches, San Salvador is a water sports wonderland.
Getting to San Salvador, Bahamas
One of the most common questions we get is “how do we get there?” The honest answer is that getting to San Salvador is sometimes a bit of a challenge, depending on your home destination. However, no need to worry! Just leave all the hassle of getting to the Island to us who live there and we’ll make it happen. Once you have landed on the San Sal tarmac, your vacation stay with us will be nothing but easy and thoroughly enjoyable.
Here are the current options to get to San Salvador and Riding Rock:
- There is a daily scheduled flight out of Nassau, Bahamas on Bahamasair. Please check the latest schedule and price at http://bahamasair.com for Bahamasair Vacation Packages.
- On Saturdays only, there is also a direct Bahamasair flight between Miami and San Salvador. Upon arrival, passengers will clear Bahamas Customs on the island, and on the return home will clear US Customs in Miami. We recommend flight connections 4-6 hours later. To get the most up to date flight information, please visit http://bahamasair.com.
- If you prefer not to overnight in Nassau, there is currently a Jet Blue flight that leaves Fort Lauderdale, Florida for Nassau Saturday morning. Please check the latest schedule and price at https://www.jetblue.com. This flight arrives in Nassau, early enough for you to catch the scheduled Bahamasair flight to San Salvador. Depending on your home location, this may entail an overnight stay in Fort Lauderdale. Fort Lauderdale is famous for its beaches, arts, culture, and events with a wide range of accommodations and a great place to spend the day and evening before departing for San Salvador. Visit http://www.visitflorida.com/en-us/cities/fort-lauderdale.html for more information on the city and for places to stay. The latest Jet Blue flight from Nassau departs in the evening.
- There is a flight from Montreal, Canada to San Salvador via a Club Med/Air Canada that is available to Riding Rock guests booking with our reservations office. Please call for information regarding this flight.
For Group Travel Arrangements:
We can request Bahamasair to modify the schedule of its flight times to San Salvador to allow sufficient time for connecting flights in and out of Nassau. This flight must be paid in full 60 days prior to your scheduled arrival date in order for it to be confirmed and is non-refundable once paid.
Where to Stay on the Way…
If it is not always possible to get from your destination of origin to Riding Rock the same day, Nassau offers a wide range of options for overnighting. From the thrifty “I just need a place to lay my head” Orange Hill, to the “close but so cozy” A Stones Throw Away to the “I start my vacation NOW” luxury of the Melia Nassau Beach Hotel.
- Orange Hill is the most moderately priced, close to the airport location on Nassau. The property has a variety of room types available for individuals, couples and families. There is also a pool and restaurant on property.
- A Stones Throw Away is only 1.60 Miles from Nassau International Airport. It is perched on one of the highest elevations near the coast and offers a rare panoramic view of Nassau’s land and sea. The property was built to echo the traditions of an old Bahamian home: wood floors and wood ceilings, louvered shutters and a large wrap around porch bring the visitors back to a quieter time long ago when the music of the islands could be heard in the whispers of the trade winds. It is a very small property accommodating only 20 guests only in 8 rooms and 2 suites.
- Melia Nassau Beach Hotel. is 4.17 miles from Nassau International Airport. Located in the north of the island, on the stunning Cable Beach, with its fine, white sand and turquoise waters, close to the centre, shops, restaurants and night spots, the Melia Nassau Beach Hotel is the ideal base for discovering an authentic tropical paradise and one of the top tourist destinations in the world. This very large property provides 694 rooms and 32 suites with fabulous views; 3 outdoor pools with waterfalls facing the sea; 2 hydromassage tubs; a free, fully equipped 24-hour gym; various dining venues (Aqua/ The Market Place / EstaVida / O’ Grille / Wet Bar); free WiFi internet in public areas; a Kids’ Club; a gift shop; a gazebo for weddings; 5 meeting rooms and a ballroom.
|122.8 Unicom (answered by Riding Rock Resort & Marina)|
|8,000 foot paved runway|
|Official Port of Entry|
|Avgas (call for availability)|
|Jet A fuel available|